Monday 9 April 2018

Dodge Aspen details

Yesterdays blog triggered me to learn a little more about the Dodge Aspen. For this I consulted the following website: https://www.allpar.com/model/aspen.html 
It's quite an extensive page and does even make a reference to the Sierra. So I will now include this link on the sidebar.

There was already a link to this specific website as they had an excellent article written about the Sierra: https://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/misc/monteverdi-sierra.html

I was particular interested in the automatic gearbox. To my surprise I noticed many online examples were having a manual column gearbox. When further looking into this I learned the following:

There were three transmissions available. The TorqueFlite three speed automatic was optional with either a column or console shifter. A column mounted three-speed manual was standard with the six, while a floor mounted three-speed came with the 318; the 360 came only with an automatic. A four speed manual was sold with the six or 318 engines.

So that explains. Another thing I noticed is that not all of them were having these air vents on both sides of the glove box. So I suspect that might be pending if the car was equipped with the optional airco. Not sure though, it's only my guess.

Furthermore I was now becoming curious regarding the new price back in those days. I found the following website which provided more insight:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1977/Dodge/Aspen/4-Door-Sedan/Values

The main difficulty is now how much the dollar back then would translate to the Swiss Franc.

Original MSRP  : Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price



Adding the standard options on the Sierra: 318 and Airco (There were more options though, like automatic, power steering, electric controlled windows, radio, etc)


Unforutnately adding these options did not have an effect on the MSRP. The other Retail prices did go up with 10% per option.

According to this website the average car price in the USA for 1977 was USD 5.813,-

http://wgntv.com/2016/04/25/the-average-car-now-costs-25449-how-much-was-a-car-the-year-you-were-born/

That's it for now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment