Sunday 3 February 2019

Engine preventative checks and cleaning


As I'm positive the engine will start and run I continued yesterday in doing additional checks and cleaning. Clearly the fuel and ignition are the most important bits. As mentioned last time, the carburetor needs a good service treatment. And the fuel filter, pump and line needs to be checked as well. But if the engine starts running it does require cooling. So I figured to do a little more dismantling and check the cooling elements. Especially the radiator, I don't want to have any dirt circulating around. And having the radiator removed will allow me to reach the fuel pump more easily.

So here goes. First I had the canister removed:



It does have a filter which likely can be renewed but I have no idea how? I don't consider it an crucial element, so happy to leave as is.


The mounting bracket just survived but it will not take much to snap in two pieces. So I prefer a good replacement:


The radiator overflow reservoir was half full


When cleaning the following smelly rubish came out:


Hopefully there is no similar rubbish in the radiator and it's hoses. So it's a good preventative cleaning exercise.


When cleaning this part of the engine bay again more nutshells were found. But also this piece of cut iron bar.


I suspect it has been part of the bonnet structure, sorry for the poor photo


I decided to remove the battery holder plate on the other side, too for cleaning but also making it more easy to access the radiator screws and don't hurt myself on sharp rusty edges. Yes, this item needs a good replacement as well:


And more dirt and nutshells underneath on this side too:


Removing the top waterhose revealed a very rusty spring inside. Glad this will now not cause any damage or clogging of the cooling circulation.


Same story for the thermostat, that had it's best time:


Then unscrewing the radiator. Surprising one bolt was missing (out of 4).


In order to remove the radiator cover I had to remove the fan first:


And then the cover could get out:


And now everything easy accessible. I have to say it's very easy mechanicing in this engine bay:


On the next session I will have the radiator removed which had at the bottom two seperate cooling pipes screwed to it. I had it sprayed with penetration oil and to my surprise they came loose fairly easy.

Furthermore I had a quick check on the airhose mounting bracket. Not sure if this is Original or if it's broken off. The edges feel really smooth like it's Original but I seriously doubt it.


I also wonder if they kept on when spraying the enigne bay black:


Next time I should be able to get the radiator out and rinse the cooling system. And as well access the fuel pump and the fuel line to the carburetor.

As it looks now I need to have the following specific used parts:

- Canister bracket
- Airhose bracket
- Battery plateholder
- Cowl cover

- Hood air intake cover (BMW part - order got cancelled as it was no longer in stock).

New engine parts:

- Belt kit (airco, powersteering and alternator).
- Water hose kit (3x pieces)
- Thermostat + gasket
- Distributor gasket
- Carburetor service kit
- Fuel filter
- Fuelpump gasket
- Various vacuum hoses


No comments:

Post a Comment