Saturday 11 May 2019

Start me up!

Well, here is the photo of the stud:


Here another photo of the starting wheel. I like the fact it also has been painted blue. I wonder why they painted the fly wheel? And perhaps difficult to see, there is this 3rd hole for another bolt. I had it removed as I mistakenly thought it was also holding the starter motor. For me it was invisible so to be sure I had it removed. So now I have put it back again. And yes, the new starter motor fits!


But first I had to test both of them. As indicated last week, looks like the old starter motor is not seized after all. And as can be seen in the video it is functioning. Although it sounded very tired:


The new one obviously worked and it was revving/whirring nicely:


But last week somehow something else must have been broken. I checked the starter motor diagram and it's very simple:



Hopefully the starter relay was not broken somehow. So I checked the fuse panel and found fuse nr 3 broken.



The description field showed many items and one of them was "ignition under the hood".
So after replacement I hooked up the new starter motor and it was whizzing!



So I mounted the new starter motor, looks a bit shiny compared with the rest:


So time for a quick test:


And yes, it's working again. So I had to put a jerrycan of gas underneath the car and put the fuelhose in it. When starting again the fuel was sucked into it, so looks like that is working as well:


The engine however would not start up and I sensed the battery used is not powerful enough. So to get the engine properly "spinning" I had all the spark plugs removed and sprayed the chambers with WD40.



I started the engine without the spark plugs and now it was revving much better.


When putting the plugs back in again, sprayed with a can of  "start pilot" into the carburettor it still didn't want to run. I checked one sparkplug and could see it gave a spark. So all ingredients are there. Not sure though about the carburettor and the mixture. Maybe something I need to look into next time. First I will purchase a proper jumpstarter for more power to start the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment