Saturday 2 March 2019

Build up: thermostat, fuelpump, radiator, waterhoses and starting up.

Yes, the packages arrived swiftly from the USA. Not a lot but at least the basics I wanted to install before starting the car. Mostly the new fuelpump and filter was of my interest but I figured once it starts running the cooling must be good too.


 Starting with the easy task, the thermostat. The one ordered is quite different though but does fit nevertheless. Just some photo's to show the difference and some markings.





The gasket

 Cleaning the surface


The gasket which had one side as a sticker so it could not move. Quite practical.


The thermostat had one side marked "to rad"


Next the new fuelpump:



the filter is placed with the right side up for the fuel flow


And placed, which was a fiddle job. Had to remove one bar though (not sure how I managed to get it out with this bar in place - oh well)

 I had the radiator cleaned and also rinsed with clean water untill clean water came out. I placed it back due to the automatic gearbox oilpipes connected to it. Didn't want this to cause any spill.


And hooking up the battery leads to the tractor battery. And since I had bought a lengthy fuelhose I did put that into a small jerrycan below the car. Then turning the new key: I was hugely dissapointed as it wouldn't turn! Last year it went fine, as demonstrated per blog:

https://monteverdisierra.blogspot.com/2018/04/moment-of-truth.html

So this was a surprise to me. Not sure what's causing this problem. I figured the starter engine might be seized or such. I did hit with a hammer to see if it would loose up but no joy. I also tried another larger battery but no luck. Cleaned the earthing cable but no luck. The battery leads became a bit warm as well so it was taking a bit of current somehow. I guess I have no other option then to remove the starter engine. So, something for next time.

 As I ran out of time I did place the new water hoses to the radiator


The waterhose ID's by Gates:


No comments:

Post a Comment