Saturday 15 June 2019

New belts + build up + coolant (leakage)

After last weeks success I purchased the required belts for the alternator, fan and power steering. This appeared to be quite a task as there were quite a few belt options available, for the slant-6 engine, V8 engine, with or without airco, 60A or 100A alternator and potential different size poulies used (5,2 or 5.8 Liter engine). Sigh!

But it seems like I got the right ones:


In order to fit them I had to adjust the alternator and tension it accordingly. This went pretty much ok and yes there are 2 fitted:


 The powersteering/fan belt was however a different game. In order to fit this one the tensioner bolt had to be losened up. This was another mission impossible. I used brute force and the iron bar I used last time came in handy. However this had hardly any effect. I definately did not want to damage this one. This bolt is also used to hold/tight the waterpump. I wonder if they have been using locktite on this bolt. Although I was able to make a very small movement I did not want cause any potential damage. So I left it.



 Instead I have been hitting the tensioner iron with a screwdriver and a small crowbar:


This took quite a bit of force and time but it slowly moved to the end and I was able to fit the poulie and belt. Still I sense there is too much tension on the belt but I have no further room to adjust it.


Then mounting the fan (and shroud) again. I only now noticed the strange fan blades setup, looks like one spoke is out of order?

All mounted up:



And filling up with coolant, to my surprise it seems to leak at the bottom of the radiator ????  When I had it removed it still had coolant and wasn't leaking. And when it was out I had checked it as well and all looked good (as far as I can tell).


 I had no further time to have this further inspected. And I also noticed another leakage but couldn't not spot the location - Hopefully it's not at the waterpump. Typical it leaks all spontaneous without running the engine. I was aiming to start the engine and check the powersteering functionality

Prior to this I also wanted to have the oil and filter renewed (just in case the oil is detoriated / moist and potentially cause engine damage). Something I will do in any case, I can run the engine briefly to check some functionality - in case coolant leakage is severe.

No comments:

Post a Comment